Monday, February 15, 2010

Can I Help You to Your Car, Ma'am?

When you look at yourself in the mirror day after day you don't notice the subtle changes that happen to you. You know, you change your hairstyle so you can keep up with the times, change your make-up a little to hide a few wrinkles because they quit making your favorite kind, and you don't really notice those few, tiny extra pounds that have added another chin some maturity.

So when I went to the grocery store, paid for my groceries and the checker asked me if I would like help out with my bags, I was in shock.

  1. I'm not old.
  2. I'm obviously not frail.
  3. I was twice the bagger's age - she was probably 16.
  4. I was actually more than twice her age, but not by much.
  5. The bagger probably weighed 85 pounds.
  6. I was not double her weight - just had to make that point.
  7. I could have carried her to my car.
  8. I didn't need help to my car, but if someone could carry them inside my house and help me put them away, I would be much obliged.

I mean really, ladies. Why would a store hire a waif to help people to their cars with groceries? Isn't that a worker's comp claim waiting to happen? Like she could pick up my sack of potatoes and never be seen again.

Then, just last week I bought a lot of groceries on sale, lots of canned foods, things for my food storage attempt in case of a disaster and when they asked me if I needed help to my car I said yes. This was the first time ever I said yes. So the cute little guy that looked kinda like David Archuleta loaded my mini-van up with bulk food galore. I reached into my purse and grabbed a couple of dollars and stuck my hand out to give to him. Well, usually when someone makes that gesture the other person holds their hand out to receive, right? He looked at me really weird and asked, "What's that for?"

Am I from another planet?! It's money and I'm trying to give it to him. "Your tip for helping me with my groceries," I informed him.

"Oh, no. That's okay," he says and looks at me like I have the plague. "I think they only do that on Base. I don't think we're allowed to take it, anyway."

Now, back in the "old-fashioned days" we tipped. Well, I never tipped because I never needed anyone to help me to my car before I got middle-aged. But my mom always tipped the bag boy. Well, now that I know I don't have to tip I just may start having 85 pound little girls help me load my car.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I think the tipping thing might have something to do with the state you live in. Just an observation.

You know, I could never understand why stores would hire the tiniest person in a 20 mile radius to take my groceries to my car.....Seriously, are they smoking krack?

Thanks for the laugh.

Kari said...

That's why Harmons is a great place because they have drive up service where men, as old as your grandpa, load your car. Their faces turn red, they breathe a little harder, and they look like they're going to have a heart attack, but at least your groceries are loaded, with care! And they don't require a tip either!

Krista said...

Since I'm promoting your blog on FB because you don't have a FB profile I better comment. I too will start getting help out to my car now that I know I don't have to tip 'em. Except no one ever offers. Probably because I shop at the Evil Empire.