Thursday, February 4, 2010

Straight-to-My-Thighs Thursday

This is my most requested recipe. Whenever we have get togethers with other people I'm always asked to bring these Peanut Butter Bars. People go crazy for them - like vultures on a carcass! My secret is in the peanut butter - I only use Adams Natural No-Stir.

My World Famous Peanut Butter Bars

1 Cup Margarine (not butter - butter makes them crunchy)
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Sugar

Mix with mixer until mixed. Then add:

1 Cup Peanut Butter (crunchy or creamy)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Then add:

2 Cups Flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Cup Quick Rolled Oats

Don't burn out your mixer motor mixing this! Then spread in a jelly roll pan (12" x 16") and bake at 350° F for 20 minutes. If you use a different size pan you will have to adjust the time. They should be lightly browned on top. Cool for ten minutes and then spread peanut butter all over it (no need to measure but approximately 1 cup.)

Frosting

1 Cup sugar
4 Tbsp. marg or butter
5 Tbsp. milk

On medium heat bring to boil for one minute and add:

1/2 C. marshmallows

Stir until dissolved. Then add:

1/2 C. Milk Chocolate Chips

When almost dissolved pour on one end of bars - it will be runny - work quickly. Then tip the pan so it will spread all over. Be careful, I got so excited making these once I didn't notice the frosting oozing over the side and I burnt myself. If your family really likes frosting you can double the recipe.

I did that once and it made Little Miss throw up at school. She blamed my Peanut Butter Bars and added that she liked them better the other way. That's just the way Little Misses can be. So I don't recommend eating them for breakfast even though they have oatmeal, eggs and peanut butter which are all acceptable foods to eat for breakfast.

No comments: